Skip to main content

Reply to "Defusing the HM problem"

Doesn't almost every team, regardless of the sport, have that negative parent syndrom? I've coached youth football, basketball and baseball for well over 20 years and I cannot remember a team that did not have that parent, or one that was on the edge. And, not once in that 20+ years did they ever dictate the direction of the team or the league.

With every "do and don't" list there will constantly be new additions. There is only one rule and that is "If you cannot abide by the same rules of sportsmanship that we ask of your kids you will be asked to leave the event and if you don't agree with the League policy you and your child can withdraw from the League".

If any program was consistantly having parental issues and my kid was affected by it you can bet your bottom dollar that my kid would be playing somewhere else. The blame cannot always be put on the "bad parent" because all they are doing is pushing the envelope of rules set down by the league officials. If the League cannot stand up and promote the fact the game is for the kids, then, the League itself has a problem. A strong parent base that the league develops takes care of the issues on the spectator sise of the fence. There is strength in numbers, but some Leagues insist on having total control, and, many times parents do not like that type control when their kids are involved.
Last edited by rz1