Skip to main content

Reply to "Defusing the HM problem"

The coaches from my son's new 12U team made parents, players, and coaches sign an agreement prior to the season. As parents it is our responsibility to be a parent and not a coach. The players are to give 100%, be repectful and supportive, and bad attitudes will be benched and for further offenses, be asked to leave the team irregardless of how good he is. The coaches agree to give 100% and to teach the team to the best of thier ability and be positive role models. We have several "outspoken" parents and so far we have had nothing but a great time. We knew adhead of time what the expectations were and what outcomes would be. The team is comprised of all-star LL players from several leagues. All are good players so in many instances, your ability is only a small factor toward playing time. Coaches look for other aspects of being a "ballplayer". As a matter of fact, they played and won 4 games over the weekend and one of the biggest complimets was how supportive the bench was. No complaints from the kids that sat out (which were definately starters in any league). Anyway, parents knew upfront what the rules were and know that their behavior may have an impact on who is chosen for the spring team. I think its working great and now I can concentrate on being mom and not trying to figure out what went wrong with each at bat.