Skip to main content

Reply to "Defusing the HM problem"

Observer44 asked: Is there any correlation between demanding, high results oriented, controlling, HM parents and successful players?

Is there value at all in having those demanding, expect it to get done yesterday, HM, kinds of parents around a team?

Well we all know that our psychology classes helped us to identify the various personality types.

Can we get away from the "Alpha males" and "Alpha Females"? I don't think so.

The "good" Alpha's have learned to be empathetic, putting themselves in the other guy's shoes, sort-to-speak. Bad "Alphas" are narcissistic, self-absorbed, and oblivious to how they impact other's around them...why because they don't care what anyone else thinks since their opinion is the only one that counts.

I confess, I'm an Alpha male, but I'm not one of those that has to "run" everything. As I have gotten older I realize that my son has to have his chance to succeed or fail on his own merits.

But I also know that if I hadn't pushed him to utilize his God-given talents he probably would not have gone as far either...

Why? Because young boys need direction, and someone to help in finding out the information they need to get the exposure they need, like a mentor to help them deal with the disappointments they will experience as part of the difficult trek that BB will be for them.

Of all the people who can be the "point-of-the-spear" to get through all the BS to help a kid both understand, and ultimately prevail in the competitive nature of the endeavor that BB is...I would take the Alpha males and Alpha females to assign that task.

Let's not kid ourselves, it takes a very large ego with a matching humility to play this game at the top levels. All the kids that weren't sure of themselves have long been gone by the time they get to the college level...

Anyway, that has been my experience.

No offense meant to anyone.

JMO
Last edited by Ramrod