Skip to main content

Reply to "Defusing the HM problem"

Being a "jerk" does not necessarily mean someone is very "high maintenance", it just means they are a "jerk". (That's a different topic) Still I have never known a coach who goes out looking for the "jerk" ahead of all others. (Unless, the "jerk" is a extremely big talent)

Be it cars, refrigerators, lawn mowers, televisions, employees, parents or players... All things being somewhat equal, would a person want to pay for high or low maintenance?

There might be some, but I've never met a coach that actually prefers HM players. If the player is exceptionally talented a coach might be willing to put up with a bit of maintenance. Enough talent can be very tempting. But all things being equal HM is not a benefit.

Let's just say that these are all, just my opinions. However, I do know many baseball people who share these opinions. No one has to pay attention to them. There's always a chance that I am wrong. Been wrong many times in my life!

Those that care to think about this stuff may or may not benefit. I do believe it's worth thinking about, though.

In case anyone is interested here are two posts from the thread that started this discussion. Sorry for the length.

Posted in another thread.
HIGH MAINTENANCE Player or parent = More effort, time, risk and problems!

LOW MAINTENANCE Player or parent = Less effort, time, risk and problems!

Take it for what it is worth! This doesn’t even pertain to most!

At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all, I think people need to be more aware of the term “high maintenance”. The following is not meant to offend anyone. It is not directed to any individual. The purpose is to help rather than to judge anyone.

Scouts and College Recruiters often use the words “high maintenance” in describing certain players. Most often it is reserved for some exceptionally talented players, even the very best. Sometimes the talent is so good that it outweighs the maintenance factor. In fact, there are “high maintenance” major league stars.

Sometimes “high maintenance” is used to describe parents. Once again it is used most often when the parents have a very talented son. College coaches tend to put more importance on this than pro scouts. It’s much harder for parents to be a pain in the *** in pro ball.

Just the other day in a conversation with a recruiter from one of the nations’ top programs, the term “high maintenance” was mentioned. The discussion went like this (condensed version)

The Coach: “We are looking for a corner infielder who can really hit and contribute right away.”

Me: What about ****** (name left out, but very, very good player)?

The Coach: “He would be the guy, but we’re not going after him.”

Me: Why? Do you think he will be an early pick?

Coach: “He might be, but the reason we’re not interested is because his dad is too “High Maintenance!”

Now I don’t want to tell people how they should conduct themselves. In fact, many including myself have failed in the conduct department at times. Just thought that maybe this info could help a few parents who might take this the right way. After all, everyone wants the best for their sons and daughters.

It should be said that not all scouts and recruiters place the same importance on things beyond a players ability. Just know that there are many who do look into much more than the players ability. With more time I could provide a list (so could others) of some things that are warning signs (red flags) to recruiters and scouts.

If someone reads this and their first thoughts are defensive, please read it again. It is possible you could be a candidate for that “high maintenance” tag. It doesn’t mean you are a bad parent. You might be the world’s greatest parent. However, if you are deemed “high maintenance” it could affect certain opportunities.

I think those who are scouts and coaches at any level, who have examples of high maintenance parents, would be doing others a big favor by giving examples. (without using names of course)

If some day, just one mom or dad could say…. I didn’t realize it, but I might have been headed in the direction of being labeled a high maintenance parent, but I made the appropriate adjustments. Then we should all be very happy this topic was brought up.

If one mom or dad gets anything out of this, I’ll be glad it was posted!

If no one gets anything out of this post, I apologize for using up the space.

Posted by request in another thread.
justbaseball,

As per your request. By the way, regarding involvement we have had with your son and his parents - You score very high in the "Low Maintenance" department. And very high in the "Good Supportive Family" department. Also very high in the "Extremely Talented Son With Great Makeup" department. I think most parents here are high interest "low maintenance types.

Once at a baseball tournament I saw a father marching from another field. He was looking for me! I knew the father and he would fall under "High Maintenance" in the biggest way. His first words were predictable "I really hate to bi*ch, but... I stopped him in mid sentence and said "If you hate to bi*ch so much, DON'T!

A few examples to get things started.

* = Warning signs of potential for high maintenance
# = Good Sign

* Player has been in a lot of trouble
# Player is a good citizen

* Parents have caused a lot of problems in the past
# Parents are supportive but don’t cause problems

* Players or parents who show any signs of disrespect
# Players or Parents seem to show respect to everyone

* Player who is not respected by his team mates
# Player who is loved by his team mates and coaches

* Players or Parents cut down previous coaches.
# Players or Parents who never cut anyone down

* Players or Parents have excuse for everything
# Players or Parents who don’t use many excuses, but can clearly address the reasonable excuse ie. He just pitched 2 days ago.

* Players or Parents are full of complaints
# Player or Parents who don’t complain even though they might have reason

* Players or parents who believe they have no weaknesses
# Players or Parents who understand there is room for improvement

* Players or Parents take up too much time on unimportant things (shoot the ****)
# Players or Parents who are friendly, but understand time constraints

* Players or Parents who are overly satisfied with accomplishments
# Players or Parents who are confident, but understand there is much more to accomplish

* Parents that need to know everything (Meddlers)
# Parents who get the inside information from their son rather than the coach.

* Players or Parents who think they do know everything
# Too many questions is annoying – Too many answers are unbearable

* Player gives the impression he is a celebrity
# Player understands he is what he is

* Parents give the impression their son is a celebrity
# Parents understand their son is what he is

* Parents who need to discuss (with coaches) their son, or the team, on a daily basis
# Parents who show interest, but don’t become a “Oh no, tell them I’m not in” person

* Parents who give the impression that they are not going to “let their son” go it alone.
# Parents who show their confidence in their son to go it alone

* Parents that show they will get involved if things don’t go just the way they want
# Parents who remain consistent and realistic even when things are not going their way

* Parents that show the potential to be vindictive if things don’t go their way.
# Parents who never seem to have a bad word to say about anyone

That last *, might be the most important! It can cause a college coach to avoid a player completely… no matter how good the player might be.

All those * listed above are warning signs that the player or parent could be more trouble than what it is worth. Some involve time consumtion issues, some are potential head aches, some are not conducive to a healthy team atmousphere, and some can even be dangerous for job security purposes.

If you fit into the # category on everything… you would be very unusual. I would almost think there might be something wrong with you!

There are many more warning signs. Hope others join in and add their thoughts. I really think this is a topic that could benefit a some people and their children.