Skip to main content

Reply to "Defusing the HM problem"

Ramrod: Thanks for the honest self-analysis. Your post, in my opinion, demonstrates that this HM moniker can be applied to both parent AND coach.

Just as a coach should choose his players and parents carefully so should the player and parents choose their coach carefully.

Kudos to you and your honest assessment.

Most would not consider my wife or me an HM type but I must admit that I agree with most all of your answers.

It's safe to say that all of us are very interested in our player's particular situation. We all want to help but some are better suited to actively help than others. Some parents have the diplomatic skills necessary to interact favorably with a coach, scout, or recruiter and acheive positive results. Others may not possess these skills and their results may be much less thsn desired.

It is up to the player and/or parent to know their strengths and weakness along with the same for the coach and others. If its likely that your imput is going to create a larger problem then wisely back off and regroup. On the other hand if you're confident that your involvement will have a positive impact then go forward. Be observant and act wisely.