Skip to main content

Reply to "Deleted Post"

standup,
You came out of retirement but you did the same thing that you did before you retired, which leads me to beleive that you really haven't listened to what those who have been there and done it and know how it works and tried to give you good advice. Comparing your player to another is just really tacky stuff, here, on a website or anywhere.

I agree you felt slighted because your son wasn't ranked. Being a junior and contacted by 29 coaches and 62 college coach views on teh site, the ranking at this time means nothing. FWIW, son received his first rating and not ranked until his junior year (as far as I know). He was pretty much on the radar already being a USA tryout, but he wasn't ranked by PG and we never felt slighted. He attended junior fall WWBA in jupiter and two PG showcases, that was it. I am not going to give you his rating or ranking as a junior or senior because it just isn't important for you or anyone to know but I can tell you it was very very good and he wasn't drafted. I also want you to know he had very good stats in HS, college but there were others with better, but it didn't stop him from getting a very good scholarship at a very good D1 program and drafted in the second round in his junior year. He still doesn't have what some may consider the BEST pro stats as a pitcher (except for his velo), so please, understand stats really don't tell a coach or a scout or an organization all there is about a player. There is so much more to it.

Someone brought up something of importance, if your son is older than many you compare him to, that is not going to work in his favor. In pro ball if you are 20 in a league where 22-24 year olds play, and keeping up (pretty even in stats) who do you think the organization is more high on? Do you honestly think the older player with the better stats is considered the better prospect?

I agree with CD, you remind me somewhat of that dad that came here complaining his son was not ranked by PG, and drew comparisons with other players (as his son was so much better in stats), shoved down our throats how many coaches called, the big programs where they were from, teh many phone calls he bragged about, etc., etc. To top it off, the worst thing he did was bad mouth a player that didn't have as good as stats as his son and drafted first round. His son didn't get the big scholarship from a CWS contender and he wasn't drafted, yet he did have very good stats. He was so p*ssed off. It just doesn't work that way and when people realize that, it makes the journey so much more pleasant.

Again, all you had to do was ask the question, without the website, without the talk of extra base hits, yada, yada, and you would have gotten an answer. The way I see this, you have drawn negative attention to your player (who I am sure is a great kid) and yourself.

Much less venom and defensiveness because he knows he made a mistake in who he addressed and the way it was done and I agree with infielddad, sounds like a lot of *** kissing at the moment, but really couldn't care less what we say here, as long as his son gets his ranking, the world will be alright.

Just some stuff from and "oldtimer".