Skip to main content

Reply to "Depth of Very Talented Position Players"

@ABSORBER posted:

Let's pretend that PG puts on free showcases for every prep-player in the country. Let's pretend further that every prep-player takes up PG on their generous offer.

Let's now simplify it and look at only at a single class of RHP's and just their fastball velocity (even though technology now allows the collection of WAY more data than we ever thought possible).

Now I know what every prep-RHP in the country throws. As a coach I'm going to focus on the kids that currently throw 95+. I can do that because a LOT of kids will have this metric. What about the kids who throw 85 and look "projectable"? Sure, maybe one day they will throw 95+. But who cares? There are so many kids that throw 95+ my time is better served just scouting them; I don't have to speculate where they will be in a few years--they are ALREADY there. If I get at least one RHP out of the 3-5 RHP's I've committed from this class who becomes a stud (he possess attributes beyond metrics) then I have been successful. I can cut the others because I will have a new crop of commitments each successive year.

So do metrics matter if showcases are free?

And by the way, if I were running PG I would certainly charge a hefty fee. I costs a lot to run these showcases and provide these metrics.

The reason PG (and others) "hype" 95+ velocity is because it absolutely matters. That player will definitely get the chance to prove himself. If the substance isn't there the hype will eventually fade away--just as it does for many (most) players.

The focus is on a Depth of Very Talented Position Players