Skip to main content

Reply to "Developing Confidence?"

So, making him do jumping jacks blind-folded and barefoot while I dump a bag of Legos on the ground at his feet is not an approved method? I could have sworn I read that somewhere...definitely takes his mind off of the struggle.

In all seriousness, I'll ask him if he wants to know what I saw in his mechanics or if he already knows/wants to work through it himself...and I'll respect his answer (this is difficult sometimes!!!). He develops confidence in himself by working through it, of course, but also when he does ask for my observations and is able to be self-aware enough to recognize how his body felt and connecting it to the results obtained. I have always stressed the importance of body-awareness as a means of self-correction, so for example if I tell him that he's arm-barring, he'll think back to the at-bat and remember in hindsight that he felt his shoulder flying open too early. I try to make him figure out the problem when I point out a symptom (rather than just correcting the symptom). Once he became aware enough of things, he became much more confident because he knew what to fix, and was able to be more self-reliant. It really made his solo tee-work a LOT more productive.