Skip to main content

Reply to "Developing Confidence?"

This one actually made me stop and relive my experiences son.  Most of his confidence was innate, something he was born with.  From when he was maybe 5 or 6 he hated to fail.  When he did he just worked harder to fix it.  His personal baseball instructor taught him so much about the game.  Not just the mechanics of swinging/pitching but how to become a student of the game.  I am positive in my son's experiences this was the most important part of baseball in high school, D1, and MiLB so far.  I myself was very hesitant to mention things about confidence, execution, etc.  Last thing I wanted to do was introduce another person's viewpoint (myself) into that crowded head of his.  He knows what is happening and what must be done to correct it.  He knows much more than my 2 cents worth.  I did give him the opportunity to get things off his chest many times. I became a great listener and question prodder.  Though he never came out and said it, frequently by him just talking about slumps, errors, executions he came to some kind of resolution on his own.  I learned that if I tell him things he won't listen, whereas if an outsider such as a coach or instructor says the exact same thing it means much more.  Part of life being a dad lol.