Skip to main content

Reply to "Development of the 6 tools"

@Momball11, I think it not only depends on position, but also the player itself. When RipkenFanSon would go to third party showcases and events, a couple of coaches told him to strengthen a strength as one tool off the chart would get a player looks. To your last sentence, I think college coach's look for tools brought to the table and then look for what they think they can help develop. Son's RC knew son was fast, but as one of the Top infield coach's in the country RC was able to change son's arm slot on throws from second and SS to become more effective. Son was receptive to instruction and this coach took son to a different level defensively.  Son is primarily a MI, though he also started games in CF last year (Milb).

HSBBWEB talks about how every recruit's journey is different, which I agree. I think players develop at different rates (focus and emphasis on different tools) as well. I can easily see that my son's #1 to develop (speed) would be a number of player's #6. I guess if you call the order of the "easiest" to develop what actually occurred, here is my son's order of development.  Incidentally, development (seeking to improve) never ends.

1) Speed

2) Defense

3) Hit for average

4) The "6th tool"

5) Arm strength

6) Hit for power

Last edited by Ripken Fan