Skip to main content

Reply to "DFW Select Clubs"

IMO, winning is not everything when considering what is best for your son's summer/fall baseball - but who wants to lose? So maybe the short term success of a team that just won a summer world series causes some to overlook the character and makeup of the individual that is coaching their son.

The vast majority of summer coaches these days are dads or even kids themselves. Sometimes it is painfully obvious that anybody can recruit a few good players, fill out a lineup card and roll them out every day with some success. There are also individuals coaching teams that have been mentioned in this thread that I would not allow my sons to play for.

IMHO, the best organizations/teams are the ones that are led by baseball men that conduct their teams with class. Guys that teach how the game is played and make kids better players and even better young men. The Dallas area is fortunate to have a few of these kind of men and the kids that play for them are all the better for it. I've been doing this for some time now and have been fortunate to have worked with some of these type men and have enjoyed playing against some as well.

If you want the best situation for your son do your homework and find out how he will fit into the program (position & playing time), how that team's players conduct themselves on and off the field and how that team's coaches teach the game. If possible, you might ask for feedback on programs from some college coaches. Listen for descriptive words or phrases like 'professional', 'class' and 'next level teaching'.

I have two boys (ages 3 and 8) and I can honestly tell you there is a very short list of men who I would want them to play for as they go through their high school select years.
Last edited by Frozen Ropes GM