Skip to main content

Reply to "DFW Select Clubs"

Right on DBAT 18 GM. I believe a kid should play for someone who at least played at the level above them. I do not know what I could teach a college kid about the pro game since I did not play the pro game. Just because you played does not make you a genius, but you have experienced so many things that can be communicated to a kid with credibility. I think this is relevant at each level. The physical training for baseball is available on every street corner of DFW. How many people teach the mental aspect of baseball? How many people teach kids to respect "the game"? How many people teach kids to play for the name on the front of your jersey and not the one on the back?

One important thing to consider is what type of schedule does the prospective team play. I can assure you that the kids I coach have learned a tremendous amount of baseball from playing DBAT, the Dallas Tigers, the McKinney Marshalls and the Mustangs. That's why we want to play those guys. Those guys have helped players on our team understand how to play the game. The above list is not all inclusive, just who I am most familiar with.

For those of you with younger kids coming up (I also have a 9 year old) please pay attention to the following. The most dangerous thing in baseball is NOT "playing for someone who doesn't know the game". It's playing for someone who doesn't know the game but thinks he does. Do not allow your kids to play for someone who wants to double steal with a 12-0 lead or wants to bunt when up 9-1. If you see that sort of stuff, you should know immediately that this guy does not know the game of baseball. I don't care if your record is 60-0. You are placing your son in a dangerous situation.
Last edited by Vanlandingham