Skip to main content

Reply to "DI vs DIII"

skip.....

Everyone that has given you information to your questions so far, should be considered!!

Son played varsity at one of the top high schools in Illinois for academics and baseball, Lyons Township. Played leftfield and is a very good hitter/fielder. Went to showcases in Texas, New York, and Iowa, and camps at Univ. Missouri and Notre Dame. O.K., wanted to play at Notre Dame or Missouri. He had great grades and test scores, along with four AP classes. Straight A's all through high school.

Accepted to Missouri, Tulane, but not for baseball. Accepted University of Chicago, Tufts, and University of Rochester (New York), but baseball is part of the equation, and will play. Didn't apply to Notre Dame! So, what happened??? He knows he could play at any of those schools, but for the simple fact that he is 5' 7" and 145lbs., he wouldn't have been given a chance at Missouri, Tulane, or even Notre Dame. The DIII schools and his academics, and the fact that he will probably play, even in his freshman year, he chose the DIII school, the University of Rochester, that GAVE HIM THE MOST ATTENTION. I empahsize that because he felt like he was wanted there more than by any of the other schools. The coaches were, and are really good when it comes to communication with our son.

So, to carry on my novel, he has to ask himself, 1. What is life like after baseball, IF, I play in college? 2. Does this school give me what I want for my education, and will it provide me with a foundation for whatever career I choose? 3. If I play baseball in college, will I play right away, as a freshman, a starter? Does that matter? 4. Am I good enough to play in college, DI, DII, or DIII? Where do I really fit in?

There is not a lot of money for DI baseball, or academics. There is NO money for baseball at the DIII level, but there is for academics. My son received a fairly generous amount of money for academics, and DIII schools with high academic ratings generally cost more anyway.

O.K., now what? It's not an easy decision, and some intangibles may make the choice easier, or harder. Which ever school he chooses, he needs to be happy, afterall, it's four years, or maybe five, depending on his field of interest.

Best of luck. He will make the right decision.
Last edited by BoomerIL