Skip to main content

Reply to "DI vs DIII"

quote:
Originally posted by MD21:
The school that he is most interested in is highly selective. My son is definitely in the ball park for admissions, his GPA is high, he attends a private college prep high school,but his SAT scores are 60 points below the 50% percentile range.

My son's (hopefully) future coach told him that his SAT's were also below what admissions likes to see, but his GPA is very good. Coach doesn't seem to think he'll have a problem getting in as long as his GPA remains consistant. Without the coach advocating for him with admissions though I don't think he'd get in. I was surprised that an athletic coach has such pull with admissions at such a selective school but he says it's pretty much the same everywhere..doesn't matter if it's JUCO or Harvard, they'll listen to the coach as long as the kid is "in the ballpark" grades-wise.
Here's something kind of funny. My son's grandfather has been harping on the fact that baseball has to be part of the college equation for my son to be happy. He doesn't think it ought to be a factor, that my son should get the highest quality education he can and if he makes the baseball team fine, if he doesn't, too bad. He hasn't been very happy with some of the schools that have shown interest in my son because he doesn't think he'll get a good education at any of them. Of course he'd love to see my son go to Syracuse, his alma mater, but guess what, no baseball! Anyway, when this wonderful DIII coach I've been yammering on about began "courting" my son, his granddad was almost astonished, like "Wow, you'd get a great education there!". I'm holding back until we get word (again, hopefully) that he's been accepted, but I'll only have one thing to say to granddad: "He wouldn't have gotten in with out baseball!" Sorry for the long-winded post.