Skip to main content

Reply to "Diary of a Freshman at D1 P5 baseball Team"

It’s funny how posts bring back memories. I guess it’s what’s left when the playing days are over.

My son was asked to fill in on a town 16u team when he was a 5’2 100 thirteen year old who was 12u eligible. His regular team was a regionally ranked 13u team.

When I dropped him off for pregame I told jokingly told him other than not shaving, not driving themself to the game and being a foot shorter there’s no difference. Then, I told him he would likely play left, bat last and be expected not to screw up.

When I returned at game time he’s swinging a bat like he’s going to bat soon. He was batting second and playing second. Some parents were a little piqued he was inserted so high in the lineup. The first time up he doubled the other way, stole third and scored on a grounder. The second time up the pitcher had him 0-2. He didn’t bite on any curves in the dirt until he walked. This impressed me more than the double. He got another hit the third time. But the fourth at bat he earned his cred with the sixteen year olds. He took a fastball in the ribs for a walk off forced in winning run.

After the game I asked the coach about batting him second and playing second. The coach told me he heard from the 14u coach in the program he filled in for he could handle anything.

I had my son play grade appropriate rather than by age group starting in 7th grade. Freshman year he played up two years to 16u. He was recruited to be on 17u teams before ever playing varsity due to his 16u play post freshman summer.

Last edited by RJM