Skip to main content

Reply to "Dick Mills, Pitching.com"

I would love to hear your perspectives on something that I think ties into the discussion here ...

In 2006-2007 the NPA conducted and published a Velocity Study. The big take-away for me from this was that 80% of Velocity is generated through rotational force/movement, and 20% from linear force/movement. That means that a Pitcher throwing 90mph is generating approx. 72 mph from his rotational power, and 18 mph from his linear movement.

When I was young (and we only had 13 states in the Union), it was all about strong legs. We ran, and ran, and ran some more. We worked some on core, but not with great emphasis.

The study results certainly make sense, and it seems to me that the keys to optimizing velocity (and control for that matter) are:

-- Develop strong legs to serve as a strong and powerful foundation; that allows the Pitcher to get down the hill, support his extended body, and be the powerful anchor against which the torso rotates without loss of power ... and to repeat this 80+ times per game.

-- Develop a strong/flexible core that allows the Pitcher to hold the greatest possible hip and shoulder separation before firing the shoulders & arm; and to be able to travel down the mound in a fluid, stacked position ... and to repeat this 80+ times per game.

-- To develop mechanics that allow the pitcher to move in a fluid and efficient manner directly towards home plate (without undue or herky-jerky movements). Wasted motion means to lose energy/power, like water draining from holes in a funnel.

-- To develop arm, shoulder & backside shoulder strength (with flexibility) to allow the Pitcher to transfer as much power as possible from the body to and through the baseball ... and repeat it 80+ times a game.

Only focussing on the physical side here, it seems to me that a Pitcher needs to put all of these elements together in order to achieve optimum performance. To ignore one is to shorten one leg of the stool.

Is this what you guys have been saying? If not, what do you think of this premise?