Skip to main content

Reply to "Did I make a mistake?"

As a parent who has spent considerable money on both hitting instructors and math tutors, I can say without a doubt that both are important, but a math tutor most likely is not going to transform a mediocre student into a summa cum laude graduate. Most of the time, high school tutors help to ensure that the student makes a "decent" grade, remains athletically eligible, and is able to get into a "decent" college. The student's academic struggles may stem from learning disabilities or simply from academic disinterest; regardless, securing a tutor most likely is not going to turn a "C" student into a whiz kid who can earn college academic scholarships.

On the other hand, a gifted hitting instructor can help transform a mediocre athlete into a fairly gifted one and boost the player's chances of receiving an athletic scholarship. In many cases, athletic accomplishment may be the only hope for a high school student desiring to get a college scholarship.

At a recent educational seminar, I was taken aback by one of the speaker's comments: "Academics are overrated." But I understood the message he was trying to convey when he explained that many successful entrepreneurs and corporate CEO's were poor students who simply lacked the interest or motivation to do well in school. Many kids, no matter how much tutoring money you pour into them, will never qualify for NHS, but will land on their feet one day when their passion for a certain subject or profession kicks in.