Skip to main content

Reply to "Did you ever wonder why?"

quote:
Originally posted by luv baseball:
Yep I think that's the general logic to it but I still don't get why making a throw after you have clean control of the ball is an error on a grounder but not so just becasue F4 touched the bag first. If F4 tripped on the bag or was drilled by the sliding R1 then I get it. The whole "ordinary effort" component seems to be tossed out the window here for a reason that is tough to grasp.

Stats - You're probably right and I accounted for that in an earlier post above. The same kind of thing applies on regular grounders. If a ground ball is fielded cleanly going to left but the fieder stumbled or maybe got tangled up around the bag he wouldn't be charged an error on a short hop throw to first as long as noone advances because of it. I just see it as an inconsistency in the rules even though an out was recorded a 2nd out was not. On any other play the failure to record an out with an unimpeded 90' throw is an error unless the runner just beats the rap. It isn't changing and only a scoring nerd like me would spend the time thinking about it anyway! Big Grin