Skip to main content

Reply to "Didn't make a freshman team"

@peacekey

You have a difficult decision.

IMHO, keep your options open but start planning an exit strategy.

Question, is this freshman team just for the fall or is this the team for the spring 2022?

I would question why selections are made for the spring team so early.

Have your son ask the coach if he has a winter workout program and if he can attend?

If the answer is yes, then it will give your son the potential face time.

If the answer is no, then you make the decision to transfer accordingly.

Note,  this winter have your son take between 4k and 7k swings live batting machine between December and February.

Use a pitching machine (84 mph - 87 mph),  note  this is what I had my son doing the winter of his freshman year in HS.

I knew he would be ahead of most of the players at any level.  As a freshman, he started as the #3 hitter on the varsity team, ended up being #5 or 6 by end of season.

If your son is not given the opportunity, refocus his energies to spring travel baseball (if available), let him get to 3 or 4 tournaments before the summer season.

In 2012, a friend's son had similar issues. 

The HS team's feeder system was the local American Legion Team, coached by the HS Coach.

Friend's son was already playing travel baseball and attending showcases, so playing legion at a lower level was not feasible.

Player's junior year,  coach had him play 3 games on varsity, then sent him down to JV.

Note, I don't know if Juniors can play JV, but that is what happened.

Senior year (2015),  he didn't play because he wasn't one of the coaches guys.

Father was concerned because in 4 year he only had 4 varsity games.

Told him his son didn't need HS Baseball.

Why....

Your son is 6'2,  strong arm and runs a 6.4,  60.

Received scholarship to Akron and then they shutdown program. Would subsequently go to d1 juco,  finished career at D2 school.

Note, not everybody is that fortunate.

Good luck