Skip to main content

Reply to "Didn't make a freshman team"

"What “hit better” needs to mean to your son is hit so well he can’t be ignored. Hit so well the coach has to have him on the team".

This is what I tell my boys all the time. Hitters are essential, a good glove is a plus. It's not like my boys have had an easy ride through their HS program. The program is as political as it gets. They have managed to stay in, but they have worked their tails off to do it. They hit three days most weeks and take infield/outfield at least two. It's not optional. They know what they are up against. Travel season is a relief to them as they don't have to be nervous about every play or AB. In HS, they know they can't make an error or have a bad AB. It's one and done there. In travel, the coaches know that every kid will make a mistake. Honestly, I have told my boys that baseball is their first job. We have fun in practice but when they step on the field it is business. They have to do their job.

What I see in players that have a tough time with the game is that they lack the "skills" aspect. There is so much more to hitting and fielding. The fundamentals are so important, but many times they are overlooked. Baseball is a game that will bring any weakness to the surface. It doesn't matter if it is mental, physical or a combination thereof. That is why it is so important to work on the skills that are required to be successful. They must become second nature. I am lucky to have twins and they are constantly telling each other what might be a better approach or what they see the other doing right or wrong. Many times there is a "cadence" to a ground ball. How you approach it and field it is paramount to making the play routine, difficult or impossible.

During the off season, have your son work on the fundamentals of hitting and fielding, then build on that. Even if he thinks he is doing things right, get a good instructor/coach to work with him to be sure. Even the slightest flaw will have an effect on how he plays. After he has learned the skills, then it comes down to repetition. Refining a player's skill will make defensive plays look seamless. Refining his hitting skills including approach, will make him more successful at the plate. If he wants to be on the team, he will do thousands of reps and put in the hard work.