Skip to main content

Reply to "Difference between a Tear and Partial Labrum Tear"

quote:
Continue to play and throw across the field if the pain is Tolerable !!!What in the h e l l is that kind of talk from a PT ? PAIN IS PAIN and not to be ignored or played with especially at 13 years of age---it could be the end of his arm as a baseball player

I disagree. Pain is very subjective. I'm not saying go out and play no matter what, but playing "with pain" is not necessarily a dangerous thing. You have to differeniate between "pain," "soreness," and "aching" which isn't always easy.

I spent this past semester working with college women's gymnastics and the summer was spent in professional baseball. Many of those athletes play with "pain" every day. Some of them will have those types of aches and pains the rest of their lives. Yes, some of them were limited in what they could do, but they had to continue some part of practice. If we would have stopped them for any pain at all, not one of those gymnasts would have practiced!

At this age, arm pain needs to be taken seriously. Does that mean stop? Not always. But it needs to be addressed. As has been suggested to BK_Razorback, the player should stop throwing at this time and get evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon who has experience dealing with arm injuries.