Skip to main content

Reply to "Difference Between D1 and D2 Baseball"

@CoachB25 is off to a good start. I have coached college summer league teams that have had D1, D2 & D3 players so I have some perspective on this.  Any comparison between those 3 levels always begins and ends with pitching (overall talent and depth). The very best pitchers are almost always in the best D1 conferences. The SEC is in a class by itself but the ACC, Big 12, PAC 12, AAC and a few others play really good baseball - comparable to class A pro ball. Top 50 D1 programs have depth at every position - but especially on the mound. The level of talent, facilities, fan base, and the experience at these schools can be incredible. It can also be incredibly disappointing and really cut throat. HCs at those schools tend to run their programs like professionals and they make their decisions accordingly - and they can be cold and hard about it. If you have pro potential and the requisite ambition you should be at one of those schools. But if you aren’t in the top 1% - 2% in the nation in your grad class you likely aren’t good enough to play at those schools - even as a Jr or Sr. If that’s the case I don’t see how it matters what number comes after the D.  Academics should be driving the decision anyway and you better be getting a degree that is specific enough that it qualifies you for a job you want. Some D2 schools fit that bill, btw, and top 25 D2 teams are really good. The top pitchers are very good and some of the position players could make a lot of D1 rosters - but they would rather play at D2 than sit at D1. In recent years there has been a lot of attention (and $) paid to upgrading the facilities at a number of D2 schools. Some of them are very nice and are better than a lot of D1 mid-majors. Check out D2 baseball Twitter account for some videos. IMO the vibe at D2 is a little more relaxed and more conducive to having fun than the pressure cooker that exists at top D1 schools. Many schools at both D1 & D2 over-recruit so that’s something that has to be looked at on a school by school basis but it’s damned important. The experience and the fan base at the best D2 programs will not compare to top D1 schools. But it will compare to D1 mid-majors. Personally I think D2 baseball is a good option anytime (but especially now) for players that are tweeners - good enough for some D1 mid-majors but not good enough for SEC, ACC, etc. Depending on the preferred field of study D2 can actually be a better option academically too. If I had to decide between the two, I would rather be at a playing at a good D2 (competing for a conference championship and a regional berth) than at a D1 (sitting or playing for a cellar dweller). All of this predicated on no drop off in academics, of course, and all is JMO.