Skip to main content

Reply to "Difference Between D1 and D2 Baseball"

This is an interesting topic for me as my son has been in both places. He started in the Southern Conference at a private university with a solid baseball tradition and plenty of money. The program beat the national champions his freshman year, and had the Golden Spikes winner a couple years earlier. In recruiting the HC said something like "we don't really have a budget, we kind of just get whatever we want". 

Son transferred to the Peach Belt Conference and played for a nationally ranked state school. The players and families were required to fund raise. There were questions of whether there would be for money for fairly essential field maintenance and uniforms. Conference teams had the option to play three day weekend series, or two days with a double header to save a day on food and motel. 

Having said that above, what Go44dad said is awesome and true! If the kid loves the game there is no difference! I think my son would say that D1 was more like work or a job than D2. 

I would echo what others have said about the depth of talent, especially pitching. Pretty much all of the pitchers at the D1 school could have found a spot on the D2 roster, and but only a handful of the pitchers at the D2 would seem to fit at the D1. I would say that 4 or 5 of the starting 8 at the D2 could have started at the D1 though.