Skip to main content

Reply to "Different Dimensions=Problem??"

quote:
Originally posted by cocdawg:
RJM-
I'm not saying my son is a stud by any means. Even if I could see into the future and was guaranteed he would be the next Bryce Harper I wouldn't say that. That's not my makeup. I'm just asking for a little advice. He won't be doing very much pitching anyway. Your point about travel after rec.....well you may have a point there. Most kids here do one or the other. This travel team is a group of first year kids that are just trying to get there feet wet. One tourney a month type thing. Thanks for the advice though.
I was thinking back to personal experience. At nine and ten my son played on a travel team where he was referred to as one of the Fab4. The first year I was head coach. I protected my pitchers. The second year I didn't have time to be head coach. The new head coach rode three pitchers like a mule. We argued all season over him riding three pitchers and me not allowing my son to pitch more.

When it was all over we were still second best to the same team as the previous season, but three kids had sore arms. Two years later two had surgery and one had his arm in a sling. The three suffered growth plate damage.

Three sets of parents were caught up in their sons being heros. They walked around the tournament complexes like peacocks. I saw 9U and 10U baseball as nothing more than extending the season into the summer.

That was a community based travel team. Three kids from that team are playing high school varsity. Only one is from the Fab4. Two who made varsity were very mediocre until high school when they physically filled out.

Enjoy the journey.
Last edited by RJM