Skip to main content

Reply to "DIII 3-2 engineering programs"

With the late Summer recruiting fast approaching for 2017s making college/baseball decisions, I am hoping to revive this old thread to see what the current thinking is on the subject of 3-2 Engineering programs and playing college baseball. 

I recognize many of the old posters with students exploring this option may not be here anymore.  But between this thread and another one with a similar title, there was a pretty negative assessment of the option of pursuing 3-2 Engineering and playing baseball.  I am wondering if that should still be the case?

At the time of these old threads, some of these 3-2 programs were new to the LACs (as noted, adopted as a means to attract more kids to consider LACs).  So here are some questions for others who may have considered the option of your son attending a LAC to play baseball with the goal of going into another school for years 4-5 to pursue an Engineering degree:

• Did anyone's son start with the goal of finding a 4-year Engineering degree program where they could play baseball and then decide to switch to the 3-2 option (at a LAC or even D1)?  If so, did it work out and they got both degrees?  Why did your son decide to go this route (i.e. worried about being able to play baseball and study Engineering, baseball coaches discouraged or prevented Engineering major, etc.).

• Has anyone had a son who enrolled in the 3-2 program, completed the 3 years at the LAC and then moved on to the Engineering school and found a way to play that 4th year of eligibility?  If so, did they have to wait out a year?  Did it take any special actions on the part of the LAC program coach, and if so, was their an up front commitment to support it?

• For those involved in the hiring of engineering college graduates, would you really look differently at a student who began their college career at a LAC, got a BA degree, and then received a two-year BS degree in Engineering?  One poster on another thread said he had never hired a graduate from a "2 year degree"  and that the student would be looked at negatively, while another poster said having the BA implying the ability to actually write and communicate as an Engineer would be more valuable.  Would a kid who transfers into Columbia, or USC, or similar elite school that participates in some of these 3-2 programs really not be able to find an Engineering job after they get their degree?

I am aware that many would prefer the more straightforward option of going to a school where a kid could both play baseball and get their Engineering degree in four years.  But how common is that, particularly at the D1 level even at great engineering schools like Purdue and Georgia Tech?  Is it possible that a kid may have a better chance of doing both by going the 3-2 option even if it means a 5th year of tuition and no more baseball after 3 years? 

All thoughts and perspectives appreciated.