Skip to main content

Reply to "DIII Recruiting"

In our case, my son was alittle short on his GPA for D-I, could've gone the D-II route but decided on a D-III. Several expressed interest and he wound up at 1 that wasn't even on our list. He thought it was too close, about 40 min. away. Then he did the overnights. I think that was a big part of making his decision. At one, the coach did nothing but bad mouth the 1 coach and the at another, well, not to offend anyone, but it was too religious based for him plus their team did not have a great record. The coach thought he could come in and turn the team around. Even after hearing from some ex-players that the coach where he decided to go, is very tough, old school type, he really liked the chemistry of the team and the coach was honest in saying that he was one of his top recruits but you still will have to prove yourself to earn a starting spot. That's where he wound up and I thank God that it seems to have been a good choice for him.
Not much money tho, since his GPA was ok but not great (he has ADD), but the professors seem to really help the kids out when they need it. During baseball season, he'd meet w/the ones that he'd be missing classes with and he wound up having a B avg. Also, the team seems to work together to make sure everyone is making the grade by studying together and helping each other out.
And their team made 2nd place in Regionals after losing to Rowan but they moved up the polls to 9th place from somewhere in the 40's, I think. He did start alot of games but if he screwed up, he did wind up sitting the bench.
Oh, and if you're worried about your son making it to the next level after college, our catcher was drafted so there were scouts at our games. Kid's playing for the Oakland A's team in Vancouver.
Biggest advice I had for him was would you still want to go there even without playing baseball?
Last edited by PAbbMom