Skip to main content

Reply to "Dilemma"

quote:
Originally posted by RLB:
quote:
Originally posted by Out in the sticks:
quote:
Originally posted by michelle33:
Not more money just know that if I want my son to be seen by the best scouts you have to cough up thousands of dollars each year. My son will be playing college ball so obviously paying the money has paid off!! Good luck to you and your family!!

OK, I have to hijack this post.
Your son is going to play college ball so the money has paid off. What if he plays 1 or 2 years, and then he's out of baseball? How many players start their college careers and actually finish them still on the field? If you spent $4k to $5k per summer for 4 years does it pay off?
I don't have a dog in the hunt, but I know of 7 kids right now that just finished their freshman year on college teams. 3 saw playing time, and two are already transferring after wasting a year of college.
How many really get that ROI on paying to play baseball?
Another kid I know never played summer baseball, but played for his HS team. Received a 50% scholarship offer to a DI JUCO. How did he make it without going all over the US playing select baseball?

Regarding ROI: there is risk in every investment. It is the family's decision to take the risk to spend the money on sources that do give the best opportunities for future success. This doesn't guarantee success though.

Also your sample size of 7 kids is entirely too small. Nearly every scholarship player in the Big 12, D1 JUCO, top tier NAIA's etc. played and invested money in baseball organizations. Expand that throughout the country and there is a ton of investments being returned throughout the country every year.

I understand my sample size of 7 kids is only a handful, but those guys are all I know of personally that made college rosters in 2011. There is a ton of investment being made during the summers. Are you saying that the $16-$20k that has been spent for 4 years of summer ball pays off because of making a roster, or that it equals out in what scholarship money is awarded to even out the investment?
I just see several kids that go to Junior College, D-III private schools, NAIA schools, etc.. and after 1-2 years they are out of baseball. I would think the percentages speak for themselves. Only the strong survive......

Fire away fellas...