Skip to main content

Reply to "Dilemma"

quote:
4. It makes me smile this 'you can't buy a position talk'. The parent is the customer, the baseball organization is the supplier. In a free market the customer can negotiate anything he wants. I was very forthright with every coach who offered a spot on his team about what I felt I was buying. I didn't want a jersey, I didn't want a two month tryout, I wanted innings at position "X". My son goes to a public high school where I've had other kids play and I've never spoken to the coach about playing time in 6 years. In the summer, we as parents are paying for a product. The coach could have said I'll let him play position "X" for 3 innings a game and it will cost you 50% of the full fee. I may have gone for that.

Ted, just stop. Your kid is not a product to barter with. You say you wanted him to enjoy the summer, let him enjoy it, he might like the other positions and learn something about himself and being a leader on this team. When you sell a car or a house and the buyer says they will only use it 3 days a week or on weekends do you take 50% of the asking price? If so, lets talk. When you buy groceries, clothes or go to the movies do you tell Mr Wal Mart that you only plan to wear this t-shirt once every 2 weeks so the price should be adjusted, or the movie is only 1/2 as long as Titanic, therefore... nope. that's the price. you either choose to pay it or you dont. You chose to pay the price for summer ball.