Skip to main content

Reply to "Dilemma - pay more to play."

My son played JUCO in two separate schools over a 2 year period. Both were non residential. The first actually leased a set of condos off site that they allocated to players that received their 100% Scholarship (NJCAA) and the second just provided cash meant to be utilized for that purpose, but the player had to find his own housing.

The first scenario was organized very well and provided an excellent experience for my son. He loved the school and the coach and started at Short Stop playing every game, hitting in the 3 hole.

The coach was very conscious of each players GPA and had a record of having one of the highest Team GPA's in the state.

Second program was less rigorous and it was much more incumbent on the player to make sure that his academics are properly attended to.

My son again received all the playing time he could handle and had a great season, however in this environment his grades did take a hit.

If you look at JUCO's pay close attention to the placement of players to 4 year programs. That is the key to how well they monitor their players academics.

JUCO worked out well for my son, he transferred to a nationally ranked D2 (I think they are #1 right now) and played 2 years there. His only expense was housing for 2 years, tuition was paid at 100% between all sources available to the coach. Not much academic money, but some.

If your son wants to play ball, there are opportunities. It is really a matter as to how important it is to you. Because, most rosters are full of players that have a deep burning desire to be in the line up.

Last edited by floridafan