Skip to main content

Reply to "Dilemma - pay more to play."

Here's another point to consider. 

It is not at all unusual for guys to drop baseball during their college years.  In my observation, this is more common when the player sees no real future in it.  That might be because he finds he's a bench guy, because he feels like it's a ton of work that makes it hard to keep up with classwork for little or no scholarship money in return, or maybe even because he gets injured or even cut.  My point being, it's not smart to give up a lot in terms of family resources or value of the ultimate degree/collegiate experience for something that is really not going to be worth it, not even in the short term.  If you think of the impact over the coming DECADES, it's not a close decision at all.

With all due respect, it seems like your kid is "on the bubble."  With that in mind, it sounds like you already know what to do, it's just painful to think about it.

So don't think about it.  Let him play this spring and summer like it's his last go round, because it very well may be.  Then go off to his first choice school and get the most highly respected degree he can get at the best net cost as well.  He can still likely play Legion ball even after his freshman year, and who knows, maybe his school will start a club team at some point.  (Maybe he could lead on that?)

I'm a big proponent of kids leveraging their playing abilities to get accepted at schools where they otherwise wouldn't have had a chance, or at best might have been marginal in the admissions process.  That's the best way to mix baseball and the college choice decision.  I hate to see people go the other direction and end up compromising the non-baseball aspects of their college experience.  It's a short-sighted and ultimately often a very costly decision.