Skip to main content

Reply to "Dilemma..Newbie with a drafted son?"

The 43rd doesn't make your son a priority. He does now have options, regardless of others opinions. He now has the option to negotiate. If you can negotiate college tuition under the the mlb college plan and your son wants to try pro ball, then he has an option. However, they may not want to give him college money at that round. My son went in the 8th round and he got a bunus and 4 years of college paid for along with books, room and board, etc.

He could choose to go to a junior college for a year and sign or get redrafted next year. He could choose to go to his d1 school and get redrafted in 3 years. He has options.

My opinion would be that the best bet is college. If the team has some interest, you MAY consider a juco. Sometimes college is not for a kid.

Now the reality is a 43rd rounder is not going to be a priority and most likely will be a roster filler. That is my professional opinion, but I am not professional. lol Low round guys sit ont the bench, play in b games and get very little time. It is a business. The more money that you get the better prospect you are. It is not always talent.

My son sat most of the first month while the money guys got all the innings. He just kept at it and didn't give up hits or runs and he got his shot and did ok. A 43rd rounder may not get that chance.

You can email me at Bighit15@hotmail.com and I will be glad to give you more specific information.

Also, don't close the door on negotiations. Play in a top summer program and keep an open mind. If he does awesome and a couple of higher round guys don't sign, then he might get a better offer later in the summer. He might get his wish. Ya never know. AT LEAST HE HAS OPTIONS! You can negotiate until he takes his first class.

We have no idea why your son dropped in the draft. They might have been scared off by the good scholarship. Who knows? Maybe, his talent level is top 10 rounds. We don't know. Be realistic and be careful about pidgeon holing based on round pick. Truth is scouts are not perfect and many mistakes are made.

Be careful when people make blanket statements about signing or not based on round only without knowing who the kid is and what his talent level is or why he did not go higher. Get all the advice you can and then make the best decision for your family. If things were black and white, you would not have to negotiate. jmo
Last edited by Bighit15