Skip to main content

Reply to "Dirtbags Baseball"

Originally Posted by old_school:
Originally Posted by CoachB25:

I'm missing something in these responses.  The OP continues to assert that he was told one thing about games, comepetition, ... and not only was that not true, it appears that even the instuction promised was substandard.  Another assertion was that these teams where parents were mislead are funding the teams where players/parents are receiving what was promised.  This has noting to do with parents thinking that their son was better than what he was.  I've heard the same from some programs in my area.  I don't know the "truth" in this situation but can any of you assert that his practice is not happening all across this country?

Having been around the travel baseball game for several years now I can tell you the "dirtbags" have a pretty good reputation, they have multiple teams at every age group, the rosters and schedules are posted on the web site...I would find it hard to believe that a parent had no idea of what they were getting into and if they didn't it is probably on them because it really isn't hard to find out.

This thread was started back in 2013.  That spring\summer the Dirtbags had at least 6-8 teams that they called their "scout" teams.  These teams did not play in any "Showcase" tournaments.  They played all summer but only played against the other scout teams.  The parents of kids on these teams paid the same fees as the kids on the "Showcase" teams. The thing is, no one ever bothered to tell the parents that their son was slotted to be on a scout team until after the fees were paid and the season was about to start.  With that said, the 4th post on this thread from Polkey, and the post a little latter from baseballmom2 are dead on accurate.  Go back and read those posts and as hard as it may seem to believe, they are true.

Honestly, the kids that were placed on a scout team probably didn't have the talent to start on most JV teams and they absolutely lacked the talent to make a varsity team.  But, they were strung along and made to believe that they made a real team and this is where the issues came from. 

But even with all of that, the Dirtbag organization hasn't missed a beat as they now have 14 15-17U teams.  Their main "All Blacks" team is loaded with very, very talented players and their "B" teams are pretty good too.