Skip to main content

Reply to "Dirtbags Baseball"

The Dirtbags were the real deal maybe 5 years ago. They had the "Dirtbag" team which were primarily 17 year olds. 50% of them were D1 capable. They also had one 16U team and one 15U team. These players were better than most. In the last few years, the dirtbag owner added 2 to 3 teams per age group all the way down to 13U. You started to see Dirtbag names with a color after it such as Dirtbag 15U Black or Dirtbag 16 Gold, etc. A friend of mine was on one of the three 17U teams. He thought he was on "the Dirtbag" team. The main scout team is a 17U team and it has no color or age associated with its name. So, there were actually four 17U teams. My friend's team had 21 or so players. He received did not receive any help with his baseball skills. The owner of the Dirtbags also owns Impact Baseball and employs quite a few folks, Their salaries have to be paid somehow. I also have a friend that played on the main team at the same time as the other that played on the "farm" team. One particular weekend, the main team was flown to Florida to play in a big something or other showcase, while the farm teams (same age group as the main team) played in a local Impact Tourney. My friend indicated they did not have to pay airfare. My son played with a non-Dirtbag team. The Impact tournaments had you playing one game at the college and all the others at high schools. In one day, you would play a game at one Venue and then have to jump in the car and have to drive 45 minutes to a different Venue for your second game. These Impact tournaments cost between $650 and $800 per team. The gate fee was $15 per person. 90% of the venues had no concession. 100% of the venues had no working scoreboard. The games were 2 hours and not a minute longer. If it rained out the game, you didn't get your money back. Just last year, Impact tournaments started requiring teams to stay at particular hotels in addition to paying the tourney fee. Not sure the purpose to that, except that Impact was probably getting some sort of kickback. Another thing to look out for, Impact Prospect Showcases. Last year, there was the TOP 150 Prospect Showcase. Supposedly, a player had to be "recommended" for entry into the showcase. There was also fee which was cheap, $75. But if you wanted to get feedback from the college coaches that attended, then you had to pay an additional $75. When it was said and done, the "Top 150" was "Top 220ish". There were 10 teams with about 23 players on each. You played 2 games with college coached there to watch. My son's 1st game time was on a Friday at 5pm. His second game was on a Sunday evening at 6pm. I asked for my money back. Didn't get it. Some of our friends did attend. One of the guys never got to run the 60yd.You only got 5 pitches during BP. No matter how bad a pitch was, you got 5. You were lucky to play 2 innings during the game. The worst is yet to be told, I believe the Dirtbag/Impact Baseball Organization hurts the chances of players in the triangle area of being recruited by ACC teams. There is one particular ACC team that you never see at showcases around the triangle. I believe he gets his info about players from the Dirtbag/Impact folks. My son attended a Prospect camp given by this school. I believe the cost was about $350. There were quite a few Dirtbag players there. This school's coaching staff knew each player. My son overheard one of the DIrtbags mention that they didn't have to pay the fee. I have actually seen an employee of the Dirtbag/Impact org see a non-Dirtbag player pitch in a high school game. He liked what he saw. The very next time this pitcher pitched, there were 5 college recruiters at the game. No one person should have that much influence over the mass of kids playing high school baseball in the triangle area. So its like, if the Dirtbags don't know ya, then you much not bee too good. There are some good ball players out there that don't have the money to play with the Dirtbags and have high school coaches that do absolutely nothing to help players get recruited. Yes, you do need to do it yourself, but what baseball player can get 5 college recruiters to their games. Finally, here is the kicker, the Dirtbag/Impact baseball owner is building a new facility in Burlington or somewhere there bouts. As long as parents continue to pay the $1300-$1800 seasonal fee, then nothing will change.