Skip to main content

Reply to "Dirtbags Baseball"

I don't know anything about what goes on at the lower levels, so I can't comment on that. What I do know for a fact is that at the highest level the Dirtbags are one of the top programs in the country.  They have had many players become early draft picks and college All Americans.  They even have some in the Major Leagues.  They have won some of the top championships in travel baseball.  This is an extremely talented team and they conduct themselves with a lot of class.

Is it possible that hundreds of players and their parents want to take a shot at being on this team that creates great results for their players and then become disappointed when things don't work out that way.  Getting lots of exposure only works for those that possess the necessary talent.  Now if what is happening is DI and/or draft caliber kids are not getting in front of colleges and scouts, then that is a problem.  Maybe the goal should be to improve to the point where you are placed on the right team and at the right events. After all, they surely aren't going to hide the kids that have the most ability. Maybe the lower teams are for developmental purposes.  Have any players moved up with in the system?

the bottom line... I doubt many who have played on the Dirtbags national teams complain about anything or make accusations. On a national level this is a very well known top program.  Every opportunity in baseball is there for the player with the required talent.  Every player has the opportunity to be on or make that team.  If a player develops that ability, they are going to put on the national stage. If the player is not ready for that stage it makes no sense putting him in that situation.  Players do develop, sometimes quickly, if that happens it might be beneficial to be involved with a program that can put that player on the national map.  If it costs too much and you don't think it is possible, go do something else. It is not the IRS, you don't have to pay anything if you don't want to. I have to believe, be it the Dirtbags or any other of the nations top programs, they would absolutely love to see a player in their program develop into a college or pro player.  But that only happens when the player is actually ready for that next level.  They don't recruit you just because your on the field or on a roster.

one last thing... Parents are the very worst at evaluating their own sons.  I have known scouts that I consider among the very best evaluators of talent, but they think their own son is three times as talented as he really is.  It's because we love our sons and can't see straight when we judge their ability.  We don't see the player, we see our son!