Skip to main content

Reply to "Disappointing ..."

cabbagedad posted:

Son went to the recent ABCA convention and there was an entire presentation on how to "get around" this issue by building in positions that have titles other than Assistant Coach.

It's a shame that they have to.  It definitely takes more than two guys to run a successful baseball program at the college level.  Many tasks are given to each but we're not just talking about hitting fungo's and coaching the bases.  

Just off the top of my head, practice planning, recruiting, travel arrangements, compliance, equipment/uniform management, game scheduling, academic tracking/guidance, managing website and other media, scouting/game plan, game management, strength and conditioning, pitching programs, camp coordination, facility scheduling, trainer coordination, team physchologist/spiritual leader, fund raising, oh yeah, and actually coaching several hours a day.  Besides, with only two, it definitely limits what is so important to the players - getting sufficient qualified individual instruction to maximize their abilities.

Administration levels are very thick at most colleges.  Yeah, football brings in more money but it also costs way more and the players are all attending for free in most instances.  Most baseball players are contributing tuition and room/board money to the university.  The spend is warranted.

Wouldn't it be a good thing if schools were getting around it by using titles other than assistant coach? Meaning that more guys are helping out and more guys are getting paid. It definitely takes more than 2, but there are at least 4 bodies involved at every school. 

As of right now there is only one assistant not being paid. That assistant will be making his money thru camps and appearances at other showcases/camps. Go to any school in the Big 10s site. They have camps all year round with the prospect camps in the summer pulling in 100+ kids. They are getting their check. Volunteer Assistant's are either young guys looking to get a foot in the door or older guys who know they are getting a nice check from the camp end of things. Either way, they know what they're getting into.

These guys are putting in serious work without a doubt and I'm all for them getting paid. Whether that be thru camps or salary. But just because it is proposed, does not mean it needs to be granted. I think as a whole it will create a bigger divide between schools with small budgets who can barely afford a 2nd assistant and P5 schools with bigger pockets. If anything I think the Big 10 is doing the non P5 schools a favor.