Skip to main content

Reply to "discomfrt behind elbow after throwing"

quote:
Kevin25, I'm glad to hear that it wasn't as bad as you had thought for your son. I do have a question however. You mention that you are seeing an athletic trainer (AT) today. Did he recommend you see this person or a Physical Therapist? I'm not trying to split hairs but does this AT specialize in the proper training as a PT? I'm not all that familiar with AT's and their background so it all may be good to go.

Well let's see where to begin...

Certified Athletic Trainers are healthcare professionals trained in the prevention, evaluation, emergency treatment, and rehabilitation of athletic injuries. Athletic Trainers are often considered the "gatekeepers" to the Sports Medicine Team for athletes. They are commonly found on the sidelines at the professional, college, and high school levels as well as occasionally youth sports. Also, athletic trainers can be found in physical therapy and sports medicine clinics along with some orthopedic physicians' offices.

I may be biased as I am currently an athletic training student, but for a throwing injury an athletic trainer may be the best choice. It is what the profession does.

Three major differences in my perspective between Athletic Trainers and Physical Therapists are that Athletic Trainers are more orthopedic-based while Physical Therapists are more well-rounded in rehab. Athletic Trainers deal with all aspects of orthopedic injuries while Physical Therapists are more reactive since they deal almost entirely with rehabilitation. The last difference is that Athletic Trainers are looking to return an athlete to play while Physical Therapists normally are looking to return to "daily activities."

A Certified Athletic Trainer holds a bachelor's degree and a national certification. Most states also require registration or licensing. I believe something like 70% of athletic trainers hold a Masters Degree or higher.

More information can be found at www.nata.org

YoungGunDad, I don't intend to come off "harsh" or anything like that. I hope I provided a useful and accurate explanation of Athletic Training.
Last edited by Bulldog 19