Skip to main content

Reply to "Distance from Home"

Son #1, 50 miles, football at Tufts in Boston - that was an easy and very fun day even though at the time the football team wasn't very good (in middle of a long losing streak). Only lasted one year before a non football related injury to his big toe made him decide to give it up. The doctor said, I can fix this, but if you break it again then it'll probably be unfixable  - so an easy decision for him to give it up.

Son #2, 330 miles - NH to PA for D3/Centennial Conf games... A few times it was leave at 6A - arrive in time to see first pitch of DH, watch both games, grab a bite to eat w/ won, and drive back getting home after midnight.  One time I got there only to see the CF make 2 errors and SS make 1 error in top 1 for a game where son lasted about 3 or so innings.  Official scorer of course called 'em hits ;-)  First two years - weekend starter. Last two years were mostly relief. Still wouldn't miss the chance to be there whenever I could - it only lasts so long. Last game was at Johns Hopkins the night of the riots in Baltimore - never forget it because we had a hotel room downtown and it was quite an experience going out that night. We were one of a handful of customers at a popular restaurant.

Son #3, 875 miles - D2/Conference Carolinas. Thankfully games had radio streamed on internet. Only was able to see a few games in person. We eventually moved closer, but son was injured for second season. After not doing so well in school, he spent one year at a JUCO, but now has made the decision school just isn't his thing. Struggling through becoming a big boy now.