Skip to main content

Reply to "Division 1 Baseball"

Do you get outs? Always a roster spot in college baseball for a LHP that gets outs regardless of size or velo. D1 baseball? Sure. But focusing on D1 ball is the wrong approach to college baseball recruiting.

The trick to college baseball recruiting , if the there is any such trickery is that players need to cast a WIDE NET and most don't.

D1, D2, D3, JUCO.

All the above. Try to play in front of as many College coaches as you can. Coaches from all different levels. Players and parents are WAY too caught up in D1 ball. If you're a good fit for D1 ball you'll know. This whole thing is about finding the 'Right fit' on the field, the classroom, socially and economically. Some of the finest learning institutions in country field NCAA D3 baseball teams. While some of the worst diploma mill dumb bell colleges field NCAA D1 teams. I watched 9 players draft last year out of a JUCO conference and also watched as only 3 drafted out of a D1 conference.

For pitchers more than hitters , the Division isn't as important. If it's 98 mph on the left side from 60FT 6 Inches , it doesn't matter if it's on a HS mound a JUCO mound or a D1 mound. 98 is 98. Period. It's the same for Spin.

Important measurables for pitchers can be tracked regardless of competition.

I know countless parents and players that were 'D1 or bust' in the recruiting process and for some it worked out well. However, for more than I care to mention it didn't turn out well at all. Guys doing 4 yrs at the D1 level with a grand total of 12 AB's over 4 years. or pitchers graduating w/ a NCAA career total of 12 Innings pitched.

Do you wanna play baseball in College or do you want to be on a D1 roster? You need to think about that. Because they are not one in the same.

My son was a 2016 D1 LHP commit. I understand the recruiting process well. He was an early committ to school in the south. He was also obsessed with velocity and subsequently got hurt and had major shoulder surgery as a Freshman. His rehab was plagued w/ set backs and problems. After 2 years he left the D1 and came home to southern california and decided to reinvent himself as a hitter. He played at the JUCO level last year and was outstanding as a hitter. But most importantly , he was happy and healthy. JUCO ball was a blast. A lot of fun for him and me.

Now, as he's weighing transfer options, it's not about D1. It's about the right school from a social , academic, financial and baseball standpoint. He's spoken with coaches at the D1, D2, D3 and NAIA level and he'll make his decision based on the aforementioned criteria.

Back to you, right now, just get outs! do it w/ velo, Spin, Change. Whatever. As a 2023, That's all you need to focus on right now. And take care of your arm. Listen to it. If you're feeling sore, Don't throw. In the next year or two you'll get a good idea of where you fit in College baseball. Try not to worry about that right now. Just play the game. Focus on getting outs and helping your team win.

Last edited by StrainedOblique