Skip to main content

Reply to "Division 1 Baseball"

EastCO posted:
SomeBaseballDad posted:
plherleth posted:
Brensdad posted:

And what is your size?

6 foot 175

What is your parent's size? If mom and dad are 5' 11" and 6' 4" respectfully as opposed to 5' 1" and 5' 9" that's going to matter. Being a lefty is a big plus but puberity is going to have the most say going forward. My son took pitching lessons with a kid who was throwing 83 in the 6/7th grade. He was throwing 88 jr year. That said as a lefty 88 with control of offspeed/fastball will get you DI. 93 plus with little to no control will get you drafted.

Just an honest question. I have a 2025 lefty who already just wants to pitch.  He is 12 1/2 and 5ft 8; 133lbs.  He projects to be 6ft 1 per pediatrician.  Mom is 5ft 5. Im only 5ft 8.   The original poster is already 6ft as 2022.  Doesnt he already check the box as someone who likely to be 6ft2 plus?  As long as he can pitch. 

Kids mature physically at all different ages.  Some stop growing in 8th grade and others put on a couple of inches in college.  When it comes to pitching these days, taller is better for recruiting.  

Not to put doubt in your mind but your pediatrician's guess about your son's future height is simply that, a pure guess based on percentiles at his current age.  His genetics will do more to determine his final height than his stature at any point along the way.  For this reason, coaches will absolutely look at mom and dad to get an idea of final height potential for prospects.  Fair or not, that's reality.  I have even seen parents joke about hiring tall actors to accompany their kid on campus visits, lol.

Last edited by 22and25