Skip to main content

Reply to "Division II vs JUCO transfer rules"

Bamadad posted:

Thanks all who have replied.

If my son doesn’t meet the academic requirement to transfer from a JUCO to a D1 then he is in a world of hurt and baseball is the least of his worries. Bad grades will cost him his full ride tuition scholarship from the Alabama GI bill.

Sounds like transferring from a D2 to a D1 is a lot harder than transferring from a D1 to D2.

ride 

Transfers from D1 to D2 usually occur when a player realizes (or is told) that he isn't good enough to play at the D1 level.  Sometimes there are other factors but that is the most common reason. However, the reverse is not true.  Players that perform well in D2 are not encouraged to transfer to D1 and this practice isn't facilitated.  D2 is not a proving ground for D1. Nor is D3.  Only JUCO fits that description. Having said that I will also add that most JUCO players don't move on to D1 schools. Some do - but only the very best ones.  Most JUCO players that move on (in the SW area of the US) end up at D2 schools.  Point being, the chances of your son ever playing baseball at Alabama are slim and none.  My recommendation is that you expand your horizons if playing college baseball is important to your son.  Not meaning to throw a wet blanket on you - just being realistic.