Skip to main content

Reply to "Division II vs JUCO transfer rules"

Dominik85 posted:

What chance does he have to improve enough to play D1 in a year? 

Does he have a very projectable body?

I think that needs to be considered. Juco probably makes most sense for projetable late bloomers (i.e tall and thin) or very raw but athletic guys who need more baseball experience or some mechanical overhaul.

So honestly asses how much room for growth there is. Sure he will work hard but don't expect magical improvement and ask yourself why he will make the jump this year that he hasn't done before. There is always room to get better but you have to be honest with yourself.

That means if you are 5"11, 190 and you already trained extremely hard and you are mechanically polished D2 or D3 might be the better option.

But if you have some realistic room for growth go for the juco option and work your butt off to get better.

Dominik,

Those are good points. IMO his projectability is high.  6’2” 175lb lefty pitcher.   He is the “crafty lefty” stereotype.  Fastball sits 82-84 but he has great control and nasty secondary pitches.   He is also a late bloomer.   He is 18 and only recently started getting beard stubble on his chin.  He has a good workout regimen but has a hard time putting on muscle mass.   His coach says his biomechanics are good and that he just needs to get stronger.  My assumption is that the S&C regimen at a JUCO or D2 combined with completing the growth process will help him get to 90+.  

He will most likely go the JUCO route since it is ideal for players like him still going thru the growth process.