Skip to main content

Reply to "Dlll recruiting question"

cutfb posted:

2019 RHP son is traveling to mid tier academic DIII in two weeks to receive academic package to play baseball. This school is one my son is very interested in and would attend if baseball was not an option. He is being recruited by several  strong D2 and a couple of lower level D1 as what I assume at this point in recruiting as a backup plan.  Also top juco in state calls often and wants him to set up visit there in Jan./feb. I assume backup plan there as well.  Son is 6-4 215 8.5 PG grade.  Did not play baseball this past summer was injured so he is known but not seen a lot .  Tops at 87

My question is how long will a D3 wait when he is offered on visit?  

I know it was mentioned already but just know that the package is not being put together for your son to play baseball. I'm not sure schools even offer academic packages before the student is accepted. Either way, he will get the academic package with/without the sport. So even if the coach tells you he's moving on, just know that the package will not change. 

As for the question of how long they'll wait. They'll wait until tryouts. Roster spots are not guaranteed so the best at the tryouts will make the team. True walk-ons who show up to tryouts will make the team over recruited players if they are better. When there is no money invested, they take the best. Obviously you'd have a better chance as a recruited player, but there are no guarantees in D3 baseball.