Congrats to these young men.
---------------------------------------------

SportsDay's baseball player of the week: David Rollins

11:59 PM CDT on Sunday, March 23, 2008

By TODD WILLS / The Dallas Morning News
twills@dallasnews.com

School: First Baptist
David Rollins

What he did: Rollins pitched seven shutout innings against Tyler TK Gorman, which entered the game 10-2, 3-0 in district. Rollins allowed four hits, had 14 strikeouts and walked one. He was also 4-for-8 at the plate with two doubles and three RBIs for the week.

The stats: Rollins, who transferred from Class 3A baseball power Carthage, is 4-0 with a 1.52 ERA. He's batting .456.

Who is he? Rollins is a senior left-hander who also plays right field or first base when not pitching.

He said it: "I have new kids I get to play with and a new experience. I have teammates with different personalities. I came here for the better academics and for more exposure from scouts."

Coach said it: "He fits in real well. He is one of the leaders on our team. Because of how good he is, he's one of the players our guys look to."

Did you know? Rollins played two seasons on varsity at Carthage, which has produced Kansas City Royals pitcher Brian Lawrence), Minnesota Twins prospect Philip Humber and former University of Texas standouts Tim and Kip Harkrider. ... Rollins was the ace for a Carthage team that went 28-2 and advanced to the regional semifinals last year. ... He plays select baseball for the Dallas Panthers and has signed with Missouri. ... He throws a 90-91-mph fastball and a curveball and change-up. ... He was born in Galveston, Texas.
HONORABLE MENTION
Name School Cl. Notable
Jordan Baker Frisco Wakeland Sr. 4-hit shutout, 14 Ks vs. No. 3 Prosper
Ty Herrick Gar. Naa. Forest Sr. Perfect game, 13 Ks vs. Garland
Ben Neyen Hebron Jr. One-hitter, five Ks vs. Lewisville
Stephen Niedwiecki South Garland Sr. 5-for-8, two 2Bs, three RBIs last week
Zach Walker Jesuit Sr. Perfect game vs. Grand Prairie
Last edited by cheapseats