Skip to main content

Reply to "DMN Player of the Week"

Congratulations to all of these young men.
-------------------------------------------------------

SportsDay's baseball player of the week: Chad Kettler

11:55 PM CDT on Sunday, March 30, 2008

By C. Anthony Mosser / Special to the Dallas Morning News

School: Coppell
Chad Kettler

What he did: He picked up two saves by striking out nine in a pair of two-inning relief appearances. He did not allow a run and gave up one hit. Also went 4-of-6 at the plate in the two games. He had two doubles, an RBI and three runs scored in a 6-4 win over Hebron.

The stats: Kettler is hitting .452 (28-62) with 13 doubles, 4 homers, 27 RBIs, and 31 runs; Has an 0.75 ERA with 14 Ks in 9⅓ innings. His record is 1-1 with 5 saves. He has allowed an earned run and three hits

Who is he? A junior right-handed pitcher/shortstop who has been Coppell's starting shortstop since his freshman season.

He said it: "I love closing. I go in for one or two innings and don't have to worry about my stamina. I just go out there and throw as hard as I can."

Coach said it: "He's so valuable to us at shortstop. And since we have several arms we can go to, he's been closing for us. It's worked out real well." – Coppell coach Don English.

Did you know? He is already being heavily recruited by major colleges such as LSU and Texas. ... The best vacation was a trip to China with his summer select baseball team when he was 13. ... He was a center/midfielder in youth select s****r but has since decided to concentrate on baseball. ... One of his favorite actors is Denzel Washington. ... His favorite subject is math.

HONORABLE MENTION
Player School Cl. Notable

Travis Ballew Rockwall Jr Perfect game, 13 Ks vs.N. Garland
Shane Griffin Arl. Martin Sr. No-hitter with 9 Ks vs. Arl. Bowie
Shane Laronde Arl. Lamar Jr. No-hitter with 9 Ks vs. Arl. S. Houston
Daniel Vasquez Adamson Fr. 4-4, 2B, 3B, 8 RBIs, 3 runs vs. SOC
Zach Voight Denton Ryan Sr. 5-7, 5 RBIs, HR, 2B, 3B in 2 games
Last edited by cheapseats