Skip to main content

Reply to "DMN Player of the Week"

SportsDay's baseball player of the week: Ethan Cunningham

09:08 PM CDT on Sunday, May 11, 2008

By GREG RIDDLE / The Dallas Morning News
griddle@dallasnews.com

School: Southlake Carroll

Ethan Cunningham What he did: Cunningham went 4-for-8 with three home runs and five RBIs to help Southlake Carroll sweep Arlington Martin, the state's fifth-ranked Class 5A team, in an area-round playoff series. Cunningham pitched five innings Thursday and was 2-for-5 with a home run and two RBIs, helping Carroll rally from a seven-run deficit for a 9-8, eight-inning win in Game 1. He was 2-for-3 with two home runs and three RBIs in Friday's 9-1 win in Game 2. Carroll (16-17) advanced to face Coppell in the 5A Region I quarterfinals.

The stats: Cunningham is hitting .309 with four home runs and 10 RBIs. As a pitcher, he is 8-2 with a 2.18 ERA and 67 strikeouts in 70⅔ innings.

Who is he? A senior pitcher/outfielder.

He said it: "I was seeing the ball really well this series. The ball looked like a beach ball. I felt like I could hit whatever pitch was thrown."

Coach said it: "He and [Ross] Stripling, we look at them as two No. 1 pitchers. He's been real important for us this year." – Larry Hughes

Did you know? Cunningham played wide receiver for Carroll's football team and had 57 catches for 757 yards and nine touchdowns in 2007. Cunningham has signed to play football for William Jewell College, and he said he'll probably also play baseball for the school in Liberty, Mo.

HONORABLE MENTION

Name School Cl. Notable
Boomer Collins Waxahachie Sr. 2B, 3B, HR, 6 RBIs in 2 wins
Weston Montgomery Ennis Sr. 1-hitter, HR in win vs. Hillcrest
Max Muncy Keller Jr. 2 HR, 8 RBIs in two wins
Andrew Smith Rowlett Sr. 1-hit shutout vs. Tyler Lee
Vance Woodruff Forney Sr. 3-hit shutout in Game 3
Last edited by cheapseats