Skip to main content

Reply to "Do ask if you don't want to know"

PitchingFan posted:

I am a pastor and Sunday I preached on Parent Child Relationships.  We followed it up with a round table discussion Sunday night where we had parents and children/youth/adult children draw out questions from a box to answer in front of the crowd.  Great time for our church and families.  My youngest son drew the question

What is the most embarrassing thing your parents do?

His answer.  (Deep breath)  I hate when my dad yells at my ballgames.  When he is my coach it is somewhat okay.  But when he is a fan I don't need it.  I asked him later.  What do you think kids want from parents as a whole.   He said.  I think we just want our parents to be quiet.  Be fans and sit and watch.  Don't cheer for me or my friends, don't yell at the umpires or referees, don't coach me, don't do anything but just enjoy the game.  Do what you do in the summer, which is be quiet.  He looked at my wife and said that includes moms.  Most of my friends don't really like when their moms yell either.  Especially those who don't have a clue.  And when I see you after the game we don't have to replay every play.  Just say good game or you sucked.  I'm ok with that. 

I know this has been covered but it is different when you hear it from your kid.  Huge wakeup call.  I know some of you will say you are that parent but I've never met that parent.  All parents fit in here somewhere whether it is at the games or at home.   Or both.

AMEN!!