Skip to main content

Reply to "Do ask if you don't want to know"

FoxDad posted:

Our son didn't mind the cheering.   He pretty much zoned it out when he was on the field or at bat.  Not that he didn't hear it, but he would just ignore it.

I learned early on not to bring up the game or a certain play unless he brought it up.

And, yes, at one point I was THAT parent.

I knew nothing of baseball. I always cheered though, all the way through college. Not only for him but his team mates as well. He was a weekend starter, in college, and rarely played in weekday games. However I went to those games as well. Guess what I cheered for the players then as well. 

He did not appreciate it when he was younger or even as a freshman or sophmore in college.  We had a conversation about it his senior year. He had gotten over it sometime during his junior year. Several ofbthe other players had started asking if we were going to be there. Many were from quite a distance or they just could not make it. They thought it was nicebtobhave someone there rooting them on. We were always positive, however we shut up during blowouts, one way or another. By the time he was a senior he actually aporeciated it.

Guess what, henis still playing. Itbis a weekend mens league. Guess what. Wenstill go ans still cheer. The keynisbto be appropriate. And we are always equal opportunity. We cheer for the other players as well. He is a two way player again, and that makes it even more fun. He even asks us to come. Don't tell him but we even keep a power aid in our cooler. Just in case.