Skip to main content

Reply to "Do Bad High School Stats Matter?"

So, this comment is not at all directed toward the OP, Six-four-three as I think his son is in good shape... 

I hinted toward this earlier.  Son is a college coach at a smaller school, does a fair amount of recruiting and networks with other coaches who do the same.  Certainly, it is the norm for big D1's and perennial powers of other levels to make sure they get their eyes on their recruits in person at least a couple times.  But here is something that isn't talked about much here...

Many of the other schools rely on other means.  As example, there are a whole bunch of NAIA/D2's in other parts of the country that recruit California JC kids.  Often times, they NEVER get their eyes on the kid in person until they arrive in the fall.  They use a combination of referrals, networking, recruiting videos, google searches for highlights/awards, Maxpreps and college stat lines, Local sports TV highlight spots, player phone interviews/discussions, text dialog, etc.  The referral from a trusted source in combination with seeing recruiting and other video of the player is what carries most weight.   I understand that this isn't completely apples and apples when talking about a player who has already competed at the JC level.  But some of this same thing applies, particularly for many average D3's, with players coming straight out of HS.  They may only see them once at a HA event or come by referral of a travel organization or HS program they have networked with in the past.  My son has had me scout and research players and use my network of coaches in order to find potential players for his program on the other side of the country.  They have offered more than one player without ever seeing them in person but with confidence because of the multiple cross-checking steps they take.  One of those many steps usually includes a glance at the numbers.  As Pabaseball  and Buckeye point out, it isn't always the traditional numbers that is the focus.  Often, key indicators are BB/K rates for P's, K's for hitters, XBH%, etc. - little things that can be worth exploring further.  It is just one of many checkpoints that is one of the steps taken, but usually only after the player has already been referred.

These recruiting coaches are also more than aware of the variances in HS competition and in the quality of stats kept as well as the small sample size.  If recruiting in a region they are familiar, they also have an awareness of the level of competition of specific HS leagues/conferences/division levels.  Much leeway is given toward these variances.  But, they still look... and it is not uncommon.  They do also take note of league/area awards, etc. 

I am usually the first to advise players (and parents) not to worry about that stuff.  Just go out and play your best and let those chips fall.  Don't get caught up in all the BS about unfair scorekeeping, etc.  In the big picture, it matters very little.  If you are a player, you are a player.  But to constantly hear on this site that HS stats mean zero and no one ever looks... well, that just isn't factual.  They may not ask about them but don't be fooled into thinking they never look.  

Here's a typical conversation I have with my son... knowing that school X has a strong program and any P that is starting must be at least pretty strong, he will say "Hey, I saw the highlights of the X vs Y game the other day.  I like the X starter... like his arm action and presence.  Hard to tell on TV, do you know where he sits (velo)?  Do you know anything about him?  Can you talk to Coach and find out more?  Is he committed, getting interest?  Looks like his K ratio is really good and so is control.  They aren't giving him much run support."  (the latter few points coming from his subsequent glance at Maxpreps).

On the flip side of the coin, most college players end up at a school within the general vicinity of their home.  In that instance, the college coaches will likely have a level of familiarity with that player and the HS stats, including any blip - high or low, are even less meaningful.  There are plenty of local resources familiar with the player that a coach can reach out to and get any questions answered, as well as more opportunity to see the player in person.  But again, it doesn't mean they don't look.  I have had local college coaches approach me (when I was HS coach) with comments like... "wow, 80K's in 55 IP, is his stuff that good?".  

Last edited by cabbagedad