Skip to main content

Reply to "Do fans go to games to watch umpires eject players?"

cabbagedad posted:

I'm going against the grain again with all you guys I usually agree with (and seemingly the rest of the baseball world).  I don't think it was outrageous. 

Drawing a line with the bat where the ball crosses to point out to the ump how far off the pitch was has been widely considered an immediate toss for some time now.  The batter didn't do the typical line draw parallel to the plate but if you watch from the pitcher view, he did drop the end of the bat at EXACTLY the spot the ball crossed and then dragged it in a line away from the plate.  And, I don't think he did that as part of his routine.  So, I could see how the ump would interpret that as the "line-draw, you're gone" scenario.  That said, it was a terrible call on the pitch.  I'd be too embarrassed to toss the kid - wouldn't want several replays showing how bad I screwed up the strike call.

I agree with this - this kid knew if he drew a line where the pitch was he would get tossed so he got cute and went a different direction.  Plus why take the chance with the ump tossing you?  You still get 2 more strikes to work with.  Control what you can control because you cannot control the ump.  If i'm the coach I'm going out to discuss with the ump and defend my guy but once we are in private I'm going to light my guy up for doing something so stupid.