Skip to main content

Reply to "Do parents always go on college recruiting visits?"

While I attended all of my son’s unofficial visits (5), I tried to stay out of as much of the process as possible.

My primary role was that of chauffer however once the visit started I would typically be introduced to the HC, PC and RC… take part in the academic portion of the visit and then made a point to excuse myself so he had plenty of private time with the coaches and players. When scholarship offers were made I would rejoin the meeting.

I think another important thing to consider is when your son makes his visits. While many schools entice a player to visit during football/basketball season we decided to go while the baseball team was in season. Our HS season started in late springs so we were able to do all of his visits in February and March of his junior year. This allowed us to see the team (and coaches) in action (very telling). Attending in season also gave him a great opportunity to visit with players and see their routines prior to the games. For me, this was a great opportunity to meet some of the player’s parents which provided valuable information from a parent POV.

Our player only made one official visit because he was already verbally committed to that school…he went solo on this trip to get a taste of the college football experience.
Last edited by jerseydad